R.A.F. Callander Wyse former Pilot 193 squadron 1941 - 1946
This reproduced page is from our first website. It is now listed for review and reconstruction to a new high standard, as with many such pages it holds inaccuracies created by an inappropriate cause, to be disclosed.

VETERAN Royal Air Force Pilot (Bombers and subsequently Fighters) Callander Wyse Sadly, Callander Wyse passed away in October 2010. Aged 89. wyse-war-years          wyse-retired
Former Royal Air Force Pilot Callander Wyse and Callandar today.

All photographs and history supplied by Callander's proud daughter Sally. The details have been written by Callander and we are currently awaiting further details to add to this amazing story. "My name is Callander Wyse (Allen)
In mid 1941 I joined the RAF and trained as a pilot in Georgia USA together with American West Point cadets. 
I graduated in Dec. 1941 and received the US silver wings and the RAF wings.  Having endured an unpleasant outward crossing of the Atlantic our return to the UK was no better.  My training had involved me in flying twin engine aircraft. Soon after my arrival to the UK I was designated to fly the “Flying Coffin” (Whitley Bomber).

  However it was discovered after 10 hours flying I was too short in the legs to cope with the Lancaster or Halifaxes. 

I was then transferred to flight command where I flew Hurricanes and Spitfires in night flight affiliation with a Canadian group flying Halifaxes from Dalton Yorks. 

Fighter affiliation involved making mock attacks on aircraft on their way to combat over the Channel. Later in 1944 I was posted to 193 Squadron 146 Wing in Europe flying the Rocket firing Typhoon, a tough sturdy aircraft whose amazements include 2,500lb bombs, 60lb rockets and 4,20mm cannons.  At the end of the war I was returned to Germany as the civilian labour officer and sports officer for 5357 wing airfield constructors.  I was demobbed in July 1946.  I have been a member of the Stratford branch of Air Crew Society for years but due to ill health have been unable to attend for years. I am still in contact with my ex Squadron Commander David Ince. I also am regularly in contact with Tom Lakey (wing walker to this day!!)"
Flying History: Tiger Moth 19 Flights PT Stearman 65 Flights (Whilst in United States of America) BT 13 (Basic) 72 Flights (Whilst in United States of America) AT 10 (Advanced) 65 Flights (Whilst in United States of America) Oxford 50 Flights Whitley 10 Flights Masters - 1, 2 and 3. 155 Flights Hurricane 129 Flights Spitfire 58 Flights Typhoon 83 Flights Auster 11 Flights Totals: 717 Flights
img005 January 1942 L to R: Ray L. Wynniatt (Bournemouth), Ron A. Simmons (London), Ken T. Mason (London), Ted C. Harrill (Bath), Calandar S. Wyse, Bob H.C. Rustwith (Newcastle) - Photo taken at Grand Hotel, Torquay - Room 3/5 - "C" FLight, 2 Squadron, 13 ITW img013 img014
"The Hurricane aircraft holds many happy memories for me. After an O.T.U. at Kirton Lindsey on Spitfires, I was posted to Dalton, York's to fly Hurricanes on fighter affiliation at night and daytime weather tests. In all I completed 129 flights and only once had problems ......"

"On August 30th 1944, I was flying Hurricane 3KO (From 1695 flight, Dalton) at 9000 ft making mock attacks on a R.C.A.F. Halifax. Suddenly for no apparent reason , flames belched from both exhausts when opening the throttle, having no idea what was the cause, I broke away from the Halifax and pondered whether or not to bale out, as the flames were increasing in density whenever I opened the throttle.

I decided against the bale out and began to descend through cloud fearing at any moment that we would blow up. I was fortunate enough to break cloud almost over an airfield and by very delicate use of the throttle I managed to continue to lose height and attracted the attention of the ground ACP by flashing the landing lights.
After what seemed an age I received the green light to land. As I crossed the perimeter track I noticed faint lights on either side of the runway. I throttled right back, glided in and cut the engine and landed with a dead stick, half way down the runway. Within seconds a fire truck was alongside and a vehicle to escort me to HQ. Upon arrival I was immediately ushered into the Group Captains office and given the biggest dressing down imaginable.

The faint lights I had seen were those of his squadrons waiting to take off on a bombing raid and I had delayed them .... the Group Captain was quite right to admonish me and I often wondered if his bombers from Wombleton in York's reached their target on time.

I was later to be separated from the beloved Hurricane and joined 1935 squadron, Typhoons, in Europe and stayed with them until the end of the war in Europe.
193 Squadron has the distinction of shooting down the last German plane of the war and at that moment a TV documentary is being made about the final raid on May 3rd 1945, over Kiev and Lubeck bays. Four of my friends, ex-pilots of 193 squadron and I are being featured in the film, due out in November.
I am also a member of the Spitfire Society, but due to a triple by-pass operation and a stroke at the same time, I am rather disabled - unable to drive etc, so I have not been able to attend any Spitfire functions for 2 years. I wonder if we shall be given individual numbers, as members of the Hurricane Society. The Spitfire Society have adopted this method of identification which seems to work well.

If you ever hear of any other ex-pilots with my sort of background, I would welcome news of them. I was trained in the U.S.A. under the Arnold Scheme, class 42K, graduating in December 1942. I was commissioned at Aston Down in 1944."

"May I wish you success in your adopted tasks.

Very sincerely
Allan (Callandar) Wyse.
(PS: The flames were due to an over rich mixture!!)"

(For obvious security reasons we will not publish any contributors details on our site. If you email Aircrew Remembrance Society we will forward it to Allan)